Well, we’ve made it to 2014! I expect that this will be a year of great change for me, as if you hadn’t seen the hint or two I’ve dropped occasionally – I am purchasing my first home! Settlement is scheduled for January 14 at this point, and so the next few weeks are going to be a whirlwind of activity!
Still, I had a few moments, so I couldn’t help but want to put a post together, and I’ve had it in my head to do a review of how my year went reading-wise. So, without further ado!
How many books read? A total of 56.
Re-Reads versus New Reads? 21 re-reads and 35 new reads. New reads won out this year! (Sometimes, I do nothing but re-read the favorites.)
Did you find any new favorite author(s)? I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading Gene Wolfe, despite the fact that I had to read and reread (multiple times too, I might add) portions of his books!
Favorite New Read(s)? Easily, it would be the books by Brandon Sanderson – the last of the Mistborn trilogy, The Rithmatist and the Alcatraz series. If you haven’t read anything by him yet, I would highly recommend doing so soon!
Favorite Re-Read(s)? They were all my favorites. I could no sooner choose now than when I reread them. If I chose any one for any particular reason, it would be rereading Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass because I intend to use both of those books in some creative art work, once I have a bit more time on my hands (the summer and fall were filled with searching for a house, and now I’m swamped with getting ready for settlement, so hopefully come the summer sometime, I might have some more time).
Did anything surprise you? I did not realize how often I tend to go in waves – I read something by one author, and suddenly I have an insatiable appetite to read everything by that author! Brandon Sanderson and Diana Wynne Jones were the authors of choice this past year.
Book-to-Movie Adaptations: Were there any this year and did they live up to your standards? The only two that come to mind at the moment were Ender’s Game (which I did in fact reread back in May) and Catching Fire (which I read a couple of years ago). I think both were handled very well, and I enjoyed seeing both up on the big screens. And then there is The Hobbit. I finally went to see it yesterday afternoon with my best friend (so technically that means it ought to go in a 2014 review, but who’s being picky?) and while there were some obvious changes, I enjoyed it very much. (PS – HAPPY BIRTHDAY PROFESSOR!).
Best book moments of 2013: There were several.
- I met Brandon Sanderson. The proof will come later when I have the opportunity to upload the picture of him holding the tiny Tardis I brought with me. (That is a long story.)
- Jon Scuff started following me on Twitter and Pinterest. Jon Scuff of “Stuff Christians Like” fame, author of several books and one degree away from Dave Ramsey. Not the biggest of things by far, but it still has me highly amused. I think I ought to read some of his books now. I do follow all his blogs though.
- Once Upon a Time and Wonderland. Tv shows you ask? Yes, Tv shows. I love all things fairy tale and this season of OUAT has left me feeling a little crazy. Then they through in Wonderland, and I went over the moon with happiness (because seriously those stories are my favorites).
- Winning NaNoWriMo. It’s a big deal, because it means I’ve written enough words to fill a book. It was also an idea that no think has potential. I obviously need to finish it and get it into some kind of presentable format before anything can happen, but it was so nice to know that it was in there. I have several other stories that hopefully I will be able to write on day as well.
What are you most looking forward to in 2014? There are also multiple answers to this question as well.
- Reading Divergent. I’ve heard good things about this series from multiple people, and there is a movie coming out so I have plans to read it soon. Truly it is the next read after I finish the book that I am currently on.
- Setting up my own book shelves. I am purchasing my first home and I cannot tell you how excited I am going to be to get to set up n my own library.
- The next book in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The book is coming out in May and I’ve already reserved a B&N gift card so I can get it as soon as it comes out.
- Getting to preview and review a book that one of my friends has written. That’s the book I’m reading now. Believe me everyone is going to want to read it. Because it’s about dragons. Seriously – DRAGONS.
- Doing the #EmptyShelf project on Pinterest. A project started by Jon Scuff, you take a picture of an empty shelf on your bookcase and then add all the books you read in 2014 to it and watch it fill up. There are at least 300-400 people doing it at the moment, and there is nothing more motivating than seeing all the books fill the shelves. It’s also been a good place to get potential future reading ideas. I’ve already read three books so far. It’s my hope that I’ll be able to read at least as many as last year, though I always like to try and surpass my reading from year to year.
- Doing NaNoWriMo again. I told a true story last year. This year I would like to do enough research on one of my own ideas to be able to write something else.
And I think that is enough to be going on at the moment. Happy Reading in 2014!